AFLS was founded in 1981 to encourage and promote language teaching activities and research in French Language and Linguistics as areas worthy of consideration in their own right. The Association acts as a forum for scholarly discussion and for the exchange of information among those interested and engaged in teaching French in Higher Education. The Association has members all over the world from the UK and France to the USA, Canada and Australia.
The AFLS welcomes members from all over the world. Any individual – students, teachers, researchers – interested in French language or linguistics is invited to join the AFLS. Members:
- may join research projects and network
- benefit from a reduced rate for annual conferences
- attend workshops regularly organized by our members
- access the email-based afls-news mailing list
- news of developments in research and in language teaching in other institutions and other countries
In addition, your membership fees are used to fund three doctoral prizes awarded at the annual conference as well as teaching/research workshops.
The Association organizes:
- a yearly conference in the UK or in a Francophone country
- workshops on practical and theoretical topics.